Pages

Monday 13 January 2014

Long Saturday Run

So, on Saturday we did our long run for the week.  I know I said it was going to be 24.4km but we ended up modifying the route slightly due to fear of the cars and lack of shoulder on the one long stretch of road.  Also, we thought 20-ish would be a more reasonable distance.

We started with a 10km loop in the Dorp and then headed out to Windmeul Cellar, total run being 19km.  It actually went quite well I thought, one water stop on the first 10km, a few rolling hills on the second and thankfully some water and gummies from the in-laws, who were also on their way to the market (and our ride home afterwards).  I feel like there is definitely an improvement - there were no walking stretches, only water consumed and we both felt surprisingly good at the end.  I must say though, for water breaks I think its better to keep moving/walking, to stop completely even for 30 seconds, hurts quite a bit when you start up again.  
It's great ending at Windmeul market though, love their vibe, boere breakfasts, pancakes, snoek samoosas and more!

With the beautiful weather we thought we'd go somewhere for lunch afterwards, reward ourselves with a delicious Brenaissance pizza and a glass of wine!  But even though we felt strong on the run, we crashed and burnt in the afternoon.  Even Sunday we felt it a little on the legs up and down the stairs, and just being generally exhausted.  We might need to work on our post run remedies / electrolyte replacements etc. 


There should be a little bit of resting this week leading up to the Red Hill Marathon on Saturday morning.  We drove the route the other day (I'm still not convinced that I like doing that before a race, but some of the others insist they want to know what lies ahead).  It's actually quite a beautiful race, through Misty Cliffs, Scarborough, up and over Red Hill with a spectacular view of False Bay as you come in towards Simonstown, the last stretch through Glencairn & Fishhoek might hurt a little.  And I am pretty sure my description of the race next week will be quite unlike the one above.  It will be my first attempt at a full 42.2km (26 miles), so I'm just hoping for the best, got nothing to lose!


Sunday we went to check out some new shoe options (just waiting for the paycheck to arrive before we can actually buy them).  E likes the Adidas Supernova Glides, he said they are crazy comfortable.  I'm still looking around.  They didn't have my size in the girl's version.  Any tips on looking for good running shoes?


Week's km:                  37.5 km
Month's km:                46 km
2014 year's km:           46 km

No comments:

Post a Comment